Putnam County, FL: On Friday, September 6, 2013, Putnam County Sheriff’s Office Deputies joined forces with the Division of Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco to combat the sale of alcoholic beverages to persons under the legal drinking age.
Law enforcement officers utilized undercover juveniles to visit 18 stores in Putnam County in an attempt to purchase alcohol illegally. Of the 18 Stores, 7 were found not to be in compliance, selling alcohol to minors.
Following is a listing of stores where the clerks violated the law:
1. Lake Como Food Mart – 1971 S Hwy 17, Lake Como, FL
2. Kangaroo Express – 1171 S Hwy 17, Satsuma, FL
3. One Stop Food Mart – 331 S Hwy 17, East Palatka, FL
4. Kangaroo – 1205 S SR 19, Palatka, FL
5. Kangaroo – 720 S SR 19, Palatka, FL
6. ABC Liquors – Palatka, FL
7. Jas Food Mart – 101 N 19th St, Palatka, FL
Complaint affidavits were filed with the State Attorney’s Office in most cases. One physical arrest was made on the clerk at the Jas Food Mart after numerous complaints were received by Crime Stoppers and the Sheriff’s Office about underage sale violations at the store.
Stores which were found to be in compliance were as follows:
1. Crescent City Food Mart
2. Kangaroo #2107 – Crescent City
3. Yash Food Mart – Crescent City
4. Kangaroo #2777 – Pomona Park
5. Kangaroo #6272 – San Mateo
6. Kangaroo #6289 – Satsuma
7. Sunshine Corp #290 – East Palatka
8. Sunshine Express #291 – East Palatka
9. Buddies Country Corner – East Palatka
10. Chevron – Silver Lake Road / State Road 20
11. Chevron – Corner of Moseley Avenue and Reid Street
Sheriff Hardy said of the operation: “I am displeased with the high incidence of noncompliance with underage drinking laws at local stores. It is my sincere hope that store clerks become more diligent when checking customer’s identification”.